Movie My Way: San Andreas
San Andreas is the big budget, over the top earthquake movie that stars Dwayne Johnson as our muscular hero working for the Fire Department of Los Angeles rescue team flying helicopters, racing boats and even airplanes. From the start, this film had the strong odor of an Emmerich film. You know the type: ID4, Day after Tomorrow, 2012. Turns out, Toby Emmerich was a producer on this film which means there is a pretty strict formula that this film must follow:
- It must be over the top – We can’t just have a collection of serious earthquakes. They must be the biggest quakes ever recorded.
- It must defy logic – I’m no architect or even structural engineer but even I know that structures built in the last 50 years are designed to handle some shaking and rattling and not just crumble to the ground.
- All action must be death defying – You can’t just escape a tense situation with plenty of time to spare. Each time, it must be at the last second with a large crescendo of music and hugs all around.
- Your family must be more important than everyone else – Even if you are a firefighter, you must ignore all of the people around you and only focus on the ones you love.
- Destroy everything – Since we have CGI now, we can just go crazy and obliterate anything and everything.
So I won’t go so far as to say it is a bad film but this film knows what kind of film it is. If you like to watch all kinds of artificial destruction, then give it a go. If you want to see Dwayne Johnson’s abnormally large pecs then this movie is your Casablanca.
My Movie Rating: